September 1, 2008

Hugs to my Mother

When I was 17 my mother, who has made me the fur baby junkie that I am, was working in a local grooming shop.

The owner had acquired a baby cockatoo.

My mom fell in love with the bird, and ended up working off the purchase price with the owner of the shop.

The bird was named Baby, and he became the master of the house. We later had Baby sexed and found out that she was indeed a female.

I cannot tell you the amazing things this bird could do. She used to sit on the back of a chair in the living room and say "Here Kitty kitty kitty." to my brothers cat, and when the stupid thing would come to her, she would attack his ass. She grew to love him though, and actually started sharing the back of the chair with him.

She loved to cuddle with me, an would give you kisses all day!! She was just awesome!! She could talk, and would ask "How are you?", "Whatchadoin??", and a number of other funny little phrases.

She was also a master of escaping her cages. I cannot tell you how many times she has picked a lock and gotten out to fly loose in the house or my moms grooming shop.

My parents are getting ready to move to a new house in a new state, so my mother has been very busy packing and getting ready for this big event. My dad already stays and works in the town they are moving to, and comes home on the weekends. Right now my mom has dogs that she "sits" for because she has kennels on her property.

My mom and dad went to a movie last night, and when they came home, the little dogs that she is keeping for my brother were chewing on something....

Needless to say, my mother accidentally left the keys in the padlock on Baby's cage, she got the door open, got out of her cage, and at some point the Pomeranian got ahold of her leg and ripped it off.

My mom called to tell me this morning that Baby was gone, and I cried like a bitch. I loved that bird so much, she had been a part of our family for so long, ad I cannot imagine the grief and guilt that my mother feels right now... so if you could just send my Mom a little love, I would Love you for it!!

I Love you Baby, you have your wings back again sweetie!!!

11 comments:

Tracey said...

I am so sorry...animals are like babies and we love them dearly! God Bless!

Rhonda said...

Oh, my heart breaks for you! I had a blue crown conure that I adored! We sold him to new owners when we got a dog we feared would be the end of him. How very, very sad for you and your family!

Aunt Becky said...

*sobs uncontrollably*

deanna said...

Oh, gosh! I'm so sorry! **hugs**

Thinking of you and your mom.....

Kristin said...

I am so sorry. It hurts like hell when we lose a fur (or feather) baby. {{{Hugs}}} and prayers to you and your mom.

Anonymous said...

so so sorry...no words really, just tears.

momofonefornow said...

I am totally freaked out by birds. I mean they really mess me up. However, your story makes me so sad. I know what it is like to love a pet and then have to lose it and I am very sad for you. Also, for anything to have to suffer like that is just horrible!

Anonymous said...

Girl, I am so sorry for you and your mom. I know how hard it is to lose a pet, especially at the paws of another pet.
Poison Ivy

Dora said...

Oh, how awful! Baby sounds like she was quite a character. I can only imagine how your mom must feel.

Debz said...

ooohhhhhh, that hurt my heart. i am so sorry for you all, that just sucks....bigtime!

Samantha said...

I'm so sorry about Baby. What a wonderful bird and great life she had.